The temporomandibular joint or usually known as TMJ is a joint that is situated at the base of the skull. It connects the jaw with the skull and aligns the lower & the upper jaw for movements including chewing, eating and moving the jaw up & down. Several people face issues with the jaw & the facial muscles which results in temporomandibular disorder. Any stiffness or pain in the jaw or neck is a clear indicator that you need to visit a TMJ doctor in Austin for getting the jaw checked of any potential damage.
What causes TMJ disorder?
There are plenty of reasons that can injure or damage the TMJ. It is a regularly used joint and this makes it susceptible to more damages than other joints & teeth. Sometimes swelling can also be noticed near the front of the ear if the joint is facing heavy stress.
- Clenching the teeth tightly can disrupt the regular pattern of the TMJ movements which can lead to an injury.
- If there is arthritis in the joint, it can hinder the movement and eventually damage the jaw.
- Stress is also one of the reasons that may make you tighten your facial joints & thereby cause damage to the TMJ leading to the disorder.
Visiting a TMJ Doctor in Austin for the Treatment
TMJ disorder causes a heavy amount of pain and in some cases, can result in permanently damaging the jaw. It is commonly noticed in the people of ages between 20-40 where the facial & jaw movements are rapid.
- Consider undergoing a TMJ treatment in Austin when you feel a bulkiness or stiffness in the neck, jaw joint area or near the ear.
- If your jaw makes a click or pop sound while you make movements, it is a sign that you must visit the nearest TMJ dentist in Austin.
- While your face may look fresh, it may feel tired or you may notice a swelling if the TMJ has been damaged and you should see the dentist.
How to Treat TMJ Disorder?
TMJ specialists in Austin Texas can help you get rid of the pain by diagnosing the problem & finding the cause based on your oral health history. Specialists in jaw diagnosis can determine whether or not you should consider a TMJ treatment in Austin or not.
- Several home remedies also work well and can perfectly treat the disorder in most cases.
- Eating soft foods & chewing gum at regular intervals strengthens the joint & the jaw muscles.
- Massaging the facial muscles with essential oils like lavender & chamomile can also reduce the TMJ disorder pain.
- Utilize stress management techniques to relax the facial muscles & release stress that might otherwise damage the TMJ.
- Dental devices like bite guard & oral splints can also help to realign the joints & muscles in the jaw.
- In severe cases, a TMJ doctor in Austin might recommend surgery to eliminate the pain caused by the damaged joint.