Even though teeth whitening may not be an essential oral healthcare procedure, yet Americans are spendthrift when it comes to getting shiny teeth. According to trends, as studied by Ekwa Marketing, Americans spend nearly $11 billion dollars on teeth whitening products. The teeth whitening treatment market is forecasted to grow to $630 million by 2021, the same study finds. A beautiful smile always adds to the self-confidence and people are increasingly focusing on making their facial appearance look great.
Do the Teeth Whitening Dental Treatment Cause Pain?
Whiter teeth result in a dazzling smile that can make your stand out of the crowd. There are no intrinsic pains that emerge from the procedure. However, in certain situations, people sometimes feel a sensitivity that existed earlier or has developed after the treatment.
- Peroxide, the commonly used component or teeth whitening, penetrates the structure and can lead to sensitivity after the teeth whitening dental treatment has taken place.
- If you already face the problem of sensitivity, it may be augmented by the treatment as chemical elements used can degrade the already painful tooth.
- During the teeth whitening treatment, a soft tissue irritation might happen that results from the bleaching solution contacting the gums.
What Do The Best Teeth Whitening Treatment Dentist Suggest You Do?
There has been an upsurge in whitening treatments at the dentist in recent times. 89% of orthodontists received teeth whitening requests in 2018 (study by Ekwa Marketing). If you feel the necessity that getting treatment to enhance your smile is the way to go, proper preparation can help you reduce the uninvited pain & problems.
- Understand that teeth whitening is not a permanent dental procedure. It may keep your teeth clean up to 3 years, depending on the procedure you undertake. Drinking or smoking can reduce this time period.
- Ensure that only a certified & profession dentist is carrying out the teeth whitening treatment. Take-home kits are risky and incorrect procedure can damage the teeth.
- To minimize the sensitivity that comes after the dental teeth whitening treatment, say farewell to food items & beverages of extreme temperatures. During the treatment, ensure that solutions with less peroxide content are used, if you have any earlier sensitivity history.
- For maintaining the whiteness, floss your teeth twice a day and stay away from red wine, coffee & certain foods that make your teeth susceptible to discoloration.
- While brushing, use a gentle toothbrush with soft bristles and use lukewarm water to rinse & floss. For a few days after the treatment, using a straw to drink can help you escape the pain & sensitivity.
Even the best teeth whitening treatment dentist cannot guarantee you 100% pain-free results. This is because the procedure involves chemical components and comes with a cost for people with a sensitive tooth. You can enjoy a beautiful smile if you take precautions to protect your teeth after the treatment has been done.