We enjoy the good taste of food and drinks by the presence of the taste buds and nerves in our mouth. But what if these taste buds transfer a bad taste?
We surely don’t want that. Many people have reported that their mouth tastes sour, bitter or metallic sometimes. Depending on person to person, the definition of bad taste varies for each one.
Causes of Bad Taste in Mouth
The bad taste in the mouth can be caused due to several reasons which include the following:
- Dry Mouth: Also known as Xerostomia, is caused by the lack of the amount of saliva. So, when the amount of saliva is less than required, then the individual might experience a bad taste in their mouth. Other reasons for dry mouth also include the consumption of tobacco and diabetes.
- Poor Hygiene: People very often face the problem of bad taste due to very irregular brushing and not using the best mouthwash for veneers and other oral solutions. This causes Gingivitis and further a bad taste in the mouth.
- Oral Thrush: It is a type of fungi/yeast infection that usually grows in moist and warm areas. It is more likely to happen in people with a suppressed immune system causing a bad taste.
- Respiratory and Viral Infections: Infections happening in a person’s body system might affect the taste in their mouth. Tonsillitis and the common cold are some examples of infections that lead to bad taste.
Treatments for Bad Taste in Mouth
Along with the home remedies, the dentists at the Texas denture clinic Austin suggest the following treatments for curing bad taste in the mouth:
- General Medications: The OTC and prescribed medicines might cause an unusually bitter taste in the mouth, so it is recommended to visit the physician for changing the medications.
- Cancer Treatment: Many chemotherapy medications are being used to cure cancer. The patients undergoing this therapy have reported the bad taste in their mouths. But, this unusual taste goes away once done with the treatment.
- Vitamins and Supplements: Regular overconsumption of dietary supplements can cause a bad taste, and so, it is recommended to reduce or stop their consumption.